Friday, December 14, 2007
Chiggy's Touch Salon-Calling All Curly Girls!
Chiggy’s Touch salon owner Patience Chodokufa’s conservative Zimbabwean
upbringing led her to discover a variety of ways to express herself (behind her
parents’ backs, of course!). A strictly enforced no pants, no make-up and no
jewellery rule meant that Patience was only free to express herself with the one
beauty tool she deemed most important: her hair.
From flat-ironing her kinky curls to letting them flow rebelliously, Patience quickly
learned how hair could tell a person’s story, and her hairstory included tales of a
head full of delicious curls she could twist and turn to create any look she wanted.
Over time, Patience’s fascination with hair blossomed, and she nurtured that
fascination with a beauty education that took her across three continents. She
eventually settled in Toronto with dreams of one day opening her own boutique salon
that specialized in curls. In April 2007, Patience realized that dream with the openingof Chiggy’s Touch, located at 184 Davenport Road, lower level.
Since its launch, Chiggy’s has welcomed a parade of curly girls who crave
everything from haircolour that doesn’t parch their delicate curls to Patience’s
signature dry-cutting technique. “As a girl you want to look pretty, and my job is to
make that happen,” Patience declares. “I love the look of satisfaction clients get after a job well-done”.
That look of satisfaction is sure to be a common feature at Chiggy’s for years to come.
● Chiggy’s Touch salon is located at 184 Davenport Road, lower level.
● Chiggy’s Touch owner Patience Chodokufa has been professionally styling hair for
more than ten years.
● When cutting curly hair, Patience relies on a unique dry-cutting technique because
it allows for a more even cut (and prevents the classic triangle-shaped ‘do!).
● “Chiggy” is short for Chigumira, Patience’s maiden name.
● In addition to curls, Chiggy’s Touch also specializes in haircolour, and aims to
create harmony between curls and haircolour.
● Chiggy’s Touch offers style treatments that coincide with your hair’s colour,
whether natural or previously coloured/treated.
● Chiggy’s Touch carries several sulphate-free product lines, including Mixed
Chicks, Pureology and Embrace Your Curls (Chiggy’s own collection, launching Feb
● Chiggy’s Touch is a full-service salon that offers extensions, blow-outs, perms and
Style Tips From Chiggy's Touch Founder Patience Chodokufa!
Yes, girls, there is a correct way to towel-dry your hair.
A common mistake curly girls make occurs as soon as they step out of the shower.
Grabbing a towel and giving your entire head a 30-second rubdown is only doing
your precious curls more harm than good, and that harm produces split ends and
frizzy locks. Yes, girls, there is a correct way to towel-dry your hair, and Chiggy’s
Touch owner Patience Chodokufa offers up the following tips & tricks to setting the
stage for the perfect hairstyle.
1. Shampoo your hair and follow-up with a 5-minute deep-conditioning. While your
hair is wet, use a large-tooth comb to detangle your curls.
2. Use a microfibre towel (available at Chiggy’s Touch Salon, 184 Davenport Road,
lower level, $10) to blot – not squeeze - hair to remove excess water. “You want to
keep the hair considerably wet because the water will help to evenly distribute hair
product,” Patience confirms. “Plus, the water clumps the curls together and helps to
3. Squeeze a bit of product (i.e. styling lotion) into the palms of your hands and, using
your fingers, scrunch the product into your hair.
4. Again, using the microfibre towel, blot hair to remove excess water.
5. Finally, diffuse hair on a warm – not hot – setting until hair is dry.
For more information, please contact Gillian Downes of Showgirl52 PR at 647.222.9054
or e-mail email@example.com